Are you a current venue or would like to be one?
The walk of art is an open access festival. This means that anyone who would like to take part can, including venues. Managing a venue for the festival can be hugely rewarding and here are some frequently asked questions to help you.
How is Covid 19 effecting the Walk of Art 2021 for venues?
- For this year we are having to work towards a set of assumptions. Firstly, that small crowds are now able to gather by June 21 outside but a set of social distancing rules are still in place. E.g. 2 metres away from each other, face masks are required in doors only.
- We will continue to work to these assumptions and with the information that we currently know from the government roadmap until further announcements are made.
Who can apply?
- Residents in Horsforth who would like to create an exhibition in their own outdoor space and offer an open studio if appropriate.
What kind of space are you looking for?
- For 2021 this needs to be an accessible space outside e.g. Gardens, drives, bus stops!
But I’m a business, how can I get involved?
- We have a separate page called ‘Businesses information’ which should give you all the details you need.
When is the Walk of Art?
- The 2021 Horsforth walk of art festival is on the 3rd and 4th July from 11am to 5pm both days.
Do I have to open my venue to both days?
- Preferably as most artists are looking for venues for both days.
Will it cost me to participate?
- No not at all.
Do I need to already have an artist lined up?
- No, you can register as a venue alone and we can match you with an artist that suits their requirements.
- The application survey will help to gather this information so we can share with the artists.
I already have an artist is that ok?
- Yes, that is even better, all you have to do is register as a venue and there will be a question asking who your artist is. Please make sure your artist also registers so we can gather their information.
I am an artist, can I showcase my art in my own space?
- Yes absolutely, just register separately as an artist and then a venue and there will be a specific question asking if you already have an artist.
Do I need to offer an activity at the venue?
- For this year only we are discouraging hands on activities due to anticipated Covid restrictions. However, the aim of the trail is to inspire creativity in the participants therefore we would still encourage artists to inspire through conversations and demonstrations where possible.
Do I have to be at my venue for the full weekend?
- This depends on where your venue is and what your artist needs?
- E.g. does your artist need access to water and can they still have access if you are not there?
- You can of course get someone else to venue sit so you can also go out and enjoy the walk of art for a bit but please make sure you include the artist in all decisions you make so they feel comfortable.
Should I provide food and drink for my artist?
- Again depends on where/what your venue is. However, you are signing up to host an artist for the weekend so it would be nice to offer them at least a cuppa! Make sure you discuss with your artist.
How do I find out my venue number and route colour?
- This year, there will not be any specific routes. We will be providing a list of all venues and artists so visitors can plan in advance.
What if it rains?
- Talk to your artist about suitable cover for a possible plan B. Do you have access to a gazebo?
Who manages the risk?
- We ask that for each venue you consider any potential risks to the public and remove them or highlight them where possible. E.g. Is there a particularly steep step? Why not make a sign?
The simple rule to follow is to remove any slip, trip or hit hazards.
What about covid risk?
- We will be providing downloadable posters for venues to print e.g. please adhere to 2m (if still applicable by then). We will keep you informed of any changes throughout the organisation of this event.
What happens about Marketing and promoting?
- We use all social media platforms to promote the event, this includes a ‘spotlight on…’ campaign where we focus on the artists and where they will be.
- We have a very well visited website which provided information about each artist and where to find them on the day.
- We advise that in order to make your event a success you, as a minimum, share all social media postings and talk regularly about the event.
- We also provide each venue with a sign courtesy of our promotors, which you can pick up nearer the event. This sign will help to make each venue easily recognisable from the curb.
When will I get my sign for the venue?
- We will contact you nearer the time to come and collect the sign, bunting to decorate your venue and any other information you may need for the weekend.
- If you cannot collect the sign then we will also discuss this nearer the time?
Where do I put my sign?
- You can place this anywhere on your property as long as it is visible and secure.
Is it my responsibility to put my own sign up?
- Yes where it is physically possible. If there are any reasons as to why this is not possible then we are more than happy to arrange something.
When do I put my sign up?
- At least 1 week before the event where possible as this is a great promotional item for your venue.
When do I take the sign down?
- As soon as possible after the event
Where do I return my signs and bunting?
- We will give you this information when you pick up the signs.
There is a 2021 theme for the festival, does my venue need to reflect the theme?
- Not at all, we always use a theme for our mascots that we hide at the venues and for the wooden themed creatures that the children create to hang outside their schools.
- Other artists and venues have in the past embraced the theme either through their art or their activity. Or why not decorate your venue?
Can I talk to someone about participating?
- Absolutely – you can contact us by:
- email – Horsforthwoa@outlook.com
- Phone – 07984025335 (Kezia)
- Social media – Twitter, Instagram, Facebook
How can I apply?
- The application period for the Walk of Art 2021 has now closed! Thank you to everyone who is participating this year
I need to change some information I have already provided through the application process?
- Please contact us through our email account – Horsforthwoa@outlook.com
- If you do not have access to a computer then please ring Kezia on 07984025335
My question is not here?
- Please contact us and we will not only answer you but add your question to this Q&A.